Nelson Mandela, former South African president and anti-apartheid leader, dies at 95
ormer president of South Africa and Nobel Peace Prize winner,
has died. During his long life, Mandela inspired countless individuals.
Here is a collection of quotes that personify his spirit:
"Difficulties break some men but make others. No axe is sharp enough to
cut the soul of a sinner who keeps on trying, one armed with the hope
that he will rise even in the end."
2) "It always seems impossible until it's done."
TIMELINE: The life of Nelson Mandela
ON MANDELA: 'Everyone was in awe of him'
3) "If I had my time over I would do the same again. So would any man who dares call himself a man."
4) "I like friends who have independent minds because they tend to make you see problems from all angles."
SOUTH AFRICANS ON MANDELA: 'He is the person who saved this country'
5) "Real leaders must be ready to sacrifice all for the freedom of their people."
"A fundamental concern for others in our individual and community lives
would go a long way in making the world the better place we so
passionately dreamt of."
7) "Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do."
8) "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world."
PHOTOS: Nelson Mandela through the years
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph
over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who
conquers that fear."
10) "For to be free is not merely to cast off
one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the
freedom of others."
11) "Resentment is like drinking poison and then hoping it will kill your enemies."
12) "Lead from the back — and let others believe they are in front."
13) "Do not judge me by my successes, judge me by how many times I fell down and got back up again."
"I hate race discrimination most intensely and in all its
manifestations. I have fought it all during my life; I fight it now, and
will do so until the end of my days."
15) "A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination."